By Earl A. Reitan
Read or Download An Age of Achievement PDF
Best uk history books
In Migrant Modernism, J. Dillon Brown examines the intersection among British literary modernism and the foundational West Indian novels that emerged in London after global conflict II. by means of emphasizing the site within which anglophone Caribbean writers comparable to George Lamming, V. S. Naipaul, and Samuel Selvon produced and released their paintings, Brown unearths a dynamic convergence among modernism and postcolonial literature that has frequently been neglected.
This ebook charts the process financial coverage within the united kingdom from 1967 to 1982. It indicates how occasions akin to the 1967 devaluation, the cave in of Bretton Woods, the stagflation of the Nineteen Seventies, and the IMF mortgage of 1976 all formed coverage. It exhibits that the 'monetarist' test of the Nineteen Eighties was once in line with a primary misreading of Seventies financial coverage.
This vivid background of London within the 20th century unearths town as a key web site within the improvement of black internationalism and anticolonialism. Marc Matera indicates the numerous contributions of individuals of African descent to London’s wealthy social and cultural historical past, masterfully weaving jointly the tales of many well-known historic figures and offering their quests for private, specialist, and political popularity opposed to the backdrop of a declining British Empire.
Represents a heritage of the British Empire that takes account of the feel of empire as highbrow in addition to geographic dominion: the historiography of the British Empire, with its preoccupation of empire as geographically unchallenged sovereignty, overlooks the assumption of empire as highbrow dominion.
- British Silent Cinema and the Great War
- The Englishwoman's Review of Social and Industrial Questions: 1876: Volume 9 (Routledge Library Editions: The Englishwoman's Review of Social and Industrial Questions)
- Public Health and Municipal Policy Making: Britain and Sweden, 1900–1940 (Historical Urban Studies Series)
- Uncivil Society?: Contentious Politics in Post-Communist Europe (Extremism and Democracy)
- British Politics, Society and Empire, 1852-1945: Essays in Honour of Trevor O. Lloyd (Routledge Studies in Modern British History)
Extra resources for An Age of Achievement
An Age of Achievement by Earl A. Reitan